© 2024 WRVO Public Media
NPR News for Central New York
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

1 dead, up to 15 injured in shooting at Kansas City Chiefs' Super Bowl rally

A law enforcement officer looks around the scene after a shooting following the Kansas City Chiefs victory parade in Kansas City, Mo., on Wednesday.
Charlie Riedel
A law enforcement officer looks around the scene after a shooting following the Kansas City Chiefs victory parade in Kansas City, Mo., on Wednesday.

Updated February 14, 2024 at 5:20 PM ET

One person was killed and up to 10 to 15 others were injured after shots were fired Wednesday afternoon near Union Station in Kansas City, Mo., at the conclusion of a celebration for the Kansas City Chiefs' Super Bowl win, officials said.

Officers took two armed individuals into custody, Kansas City Police Chief Stacey Graves said at a news conference. One suspect was captured after a foot chase with officers, she said.

It's unclear yet how many fans were attendance, but NPR member station KCUR said that during last year's victory parade close to 1 million flooded downtown for the rally.

In preparation for the expected crowd size, 800 law enforcement officers were on scene for the parade, Graves said. The heavy police presence helped in getting fans to safety once the shooting began and in administering life-saving aid to gunshot victims, she said.

The shooting started right after the parade rally ended and came from the west of Union Station, Graves said. Videos captured of the scene and shared on social media show crowds of people running away from Union Station as officers rushed in.

It's still unclear if any of the victims were children, according to Graves. Though, many families were in attendance.

Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas said during Wednesday's press conference that he had debated bringing his own child to the celebration. He was at the parade along with his wife and mother, he said.

"I, like many others, ran for safety," when the shooting began, Lucas said.

Other dignitaries were at the victory rally as well.

Missouri Gov. Mike Parson and first lady Teresa Parson as well as Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly were in attendance at the parade when shots were heard.

"State law enforcement personnel are assisting local authorities in response efforts. As we wait to learn more, our hearts go out to the victims," Gov. Parson said on X, formerly Twitter.

Kelly said she was evacuated from the scene and "out of harm's way."

Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes, who just hours before was riding triumphantly through the city, also took to social media following news of the tragedy. He posted,"Praying for Kansas City..."

Mayor Lucas said the Chiefs have been in contact with officials and shared that the team's players, coaches and staff were all accounted for and safe.

The day started off celebratory with thousands of fans draped in the team's colors of red, white and black as members of the team rode a bus through the city's downtown.

The parade was scheduled to begin at 11 a.m. local time with a rally to start at Union Station right after the parade ended, around 12:45 p.m.

Police issued reports of shots fired at around 2:30 p.m. CST.

Police said they will share more information at the next news conference at 6 p.m. ET.

This is a developing story and will be updated. Follow live coverage on member station KCUR.

Copyright 2024 NPR. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org.