WRVO Public Media has a unique opportunity for an individual with cross-platform media skills: we’re looking for someone who will be the local on-air host for our morning news magazine, and who will also contribute to our revenue growth by seeking out grants and underwriting contracts. The Morning Edition Host/Grants and Underwriting Contributor is the local host for WRVO’s most important daypart, and writes, prepares and delivers news and continuity during local portions of Morning Edition. When not hosting Morning Edition, he or she bolsters revenue for WRVO by identifying and pursuing potential grant and underwriting opportunities. The Morning Edition Host/Grants and Underwriting Contributor works closely with both the WRVO Station Manager/Program Director and the Director of News and Public Affairs to assure timely, accurate delivery of local news content to WRVO listeners, adhering to the objectives and values set forth by WRVO Public Media and the State University of New York at Oswego.
While this position is located on the campus of SUNY Oswego, this is not a New York State Position.
1. Morning Edition Host
- Serve as regular local host for WRVO’s Morning Edition, 5am-10am weekdays
- Prepare, produce and deliver local newscasts and continuity throughout the program
- Prepare and post social media messages during the morning news shift
- Operate console for live broadcast
2. Grants and Underwriting Contributor
- Research, apply for and administer grants to WRVO
- Identify and approach prospective underwriting clients
- Write contracts, assist in creating on-air messages, and create on-air insertion orders
- Assist in digital platform display advertising
3. Other On-Air Production
- Produce daily voice tracking for WRVO automated delivery
- Participate in WRVO on-air fundraising
- Serve as on-air host for news specials, live or pre-recorded, as necessary
- Produce on-air and online promotional materials as necessary
- Attend and participate in WRVO station events as assigned
- Serve as a WRVO representative at station events, meetings, conferences and other activities as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree or greater in communications or a related field, and/or at least three years of equivalent professional experience, preferably in public media, at the time of appointment
- Demonstrated ability to be an engaging on-air personality
- Demonstrated experience with generating revenue, in grants and/or underwriting capacities
- Willingness to work non-traditional hours, with strict reliability standards
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Ability to use various forms of public media technology, including computers, phones, radio consoles, digital recorders and cameras, and digital editing software
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. In addition, the Research Foundation for SUNY offers an excellent benefit package.
Date of Appointment: Position remains open until filled.
WRVO Public Media is the leading public radio station in the Syracuse, New York market. Our 13-station network reaches approximately 20 counties in upstate New York and Southern Ontario, and includes stations in Oswego, Syracuse, Utica, Watertown, Ithaca, Cortland, Hamilton, Norwich, Rome, Geneva and Clayton. Our News Department is consistently honored by the Associated Press and other journalism organizations. Our main studios are located on the Campus of SUNY Oswego, with satellite studios in downtown Syracuse.
Applicants will be required to provide the names and contact information of three professional references. Applicants being considered may be asked to provide links to audio samples demonstrating their work.
The Employer for this position is the Research Foundation of the State University of New York (SUNY), and Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
For More Information: Contact WRVO Director of News and Public Affairs Jason Smith at email@example.com with questions.