Live updates: Hurricane Ian makes a second U.S. landfall in South Carolina
As Ian makes landfall in South Carolina, Florida's Gulf Coast continues rescue and recovery efforts. Up to 8 inches of rain is forecast for Charleston.
Here's what we're following:
- Officials have an early death count, but it's up to medical examiners at the local level to investigate deaths and determine whether they were directly related to the hurricane, they say.
- Insurance claims by businesses and homeowners in Florida are expected to be as high as $40-50 billion.
- Houses in Fort Myers Beach were simply washed away in one of the starkest scenes of devastation.
- The latest from North Carolina: Asheville area; Charlotte; Durham-Chapel Hill.
- The latest from South Carolina
- The latest from Georgia
- The latest from Florida: Miami; Tampa Bay
Stay informed while conserving your phone battery and data usage, visit NPR's text-only site.